International Committee of the Red Cross launches Family Links Website to help contact loved ones affected by earthquake
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has launched a Family Links Website aimed at enabling persons in Haiti and abroad to register the names of relatives with whom they are striving to restore contact. It will progressively incorporate information offering responses to those queries.
Persons seeking news from their loved ones can therefore register the name of the sought persons directly on the site at http://www.icrc.org/familylinks
Instructions for using the ICRC FamilyLinks website:
• First search The List. Try various spellings of the name.
• If your relative is not on the list, click on “Register Your Relative”
• Family members should search The List regularly to see if their loved one has registered.
• If there are multiple search results, multiple people may be seeking the same individual and could have extra information.
Inquiries regarding US Citizens living or traveling in Haiti:
• Inquiries concerning U.S. Citizens abroad should be referred to the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens services, at 1-888-407-4747 or 202-647-5225
• The Department of State has received a high volume of calls concerning the welfare of US citizens in Haiti. Inquiries for US citizens can also be sent to
Haitiemail@example.com with the following information:
• Full name, date of birth, and passport info (if known) of the persons in Haiti you are trying to contact
• Their contact info in Haiti – telephone numbers, email addresses, hotel name and address (if known)
• Inquirer’s name and contact information and relationship to the person in Haiti
• Any special or emergency circumstances
Referral information for US Citizens in Haiti:
• U.S. citizens are urged to contact the Embassy via email at ACSPaP@state.gov to request assistance. U.S. citizens in Haiti can call the Embassy’s Consular Task Force at 509-2229-8942, 509-2229-8089, 509-2229-8322, or 509-2229-8672.
For additional information on International Disaster Family Linking:
• The State Department has launched a “Person Finder” tool to allow people from all nationalities and locations to find and share information. http://www.state.gov/haitiquake.
• New York State government launched a registry of New York State citizens in Haiti at the time of the earthquake. It is available online http://www.ny.gov/governor/ and via telephone hotline 1-888-769-7243.
• CNN is compiling a list of resources for families seeking loved ones. http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=381628.